25/02/2009

Retrograde wanderlust



I've been doing a lot of writing about Rome the past few days, which has involved a lot of thinking back to my trips there, as well as looking through my (embarassingly amateurish) photos of it. The more I think about it, the more I love it and long to be there. I can't imagine a city more amazing than Rome. Don't get me wrong, I'm not arrogant enough to assume that in the vast areas of the globe that haven't yet been graced by my presence that there aren't a million wonderful places that possibly have as-yet-unfound places in my heart, but for now, Rome to me is paradise. This may well have something to do with the typically grey, wet weather outside, but all I can think about it wondering through ancient streets surrounded by pastel coloured buildings, and the smell of freshly baked pizza and focaccia (and, yes, traffic fumes), seeing huge churches or ancient pillars looming out around a corner, sitting in the sunshine on Piazza Navona, the Campo dei Fiori or somewhere in Trastevere having a glass or four of wine... Mmm.

And in the few minutes not consecrated to dreams of the eternal city, I can't help but wish I somehow had enough money to go skiing. Grenoble may not have been my favourite place, but the sight of mountains, the possibility of skiing on fresh powder that falls away like icing sugar in the sparkling sunshine and crisp winds, all less than an hour away... just amazing.

One day.